Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Let’s Get a Few Things Straight

Ok, I'm going to have a little rant and educate time now. I have seen so many pathetic attempts at writing lately that it makes me want to scream. On top of that, I am getting far too many people who seem to think I'm joking when I say I'm a freelance writer. Or they seem to think I'm trying to get out of having a 'real' job. So, I'm going to cover a few points on what it does and does not mean to be a writer, and a few things everyone who wants to be a writer should keep in mind. Ready?

Firstly, if you want to be a writer, brace yourself. I'm not going to tell you that you have to brace yourself for anything in particular, just brace yourself. I am working through my own issues being a freelance writer, and I know that no two people are going to go through the same transition stage.

I don't care what people say. Writers do not lead stress-free lives. You might be surprised how many people I have talked to that find out I am a writer and say, "Oh, I wish I had a stress-free job like that."

WHAT???!!!

No, no, NO! Do not even get that idea in your head. Look, writing is great! I wouldn't do it if I didn't think so. But you WILL get stressed out. Me, I'm ADD. I have to battle that on a daily basis. Granted, I do better at home than I did at a regular job, because I'm not having to keep a lid on my temper, but I still get distracted easily! If I take on an assignment that isn't fascinating, and most of them aren't, I have serious trouble keeping my mind upon the task at hand.

So this brings me to my first point: If you do not have the ability or desire to make yourself sit down and work, don't get into this business. If you have to have the shadow of a supervisor looming over you to keep working, you aren't cut out for this. You also don't have a guaranteed paycheck in your hand. If you slack off, so does your money. If all the writing jobs are taken this week, you just might be S.O.L. It's something you need to think very hard about, especially before you quit your job.

The other side of that is that if you have something like ADD or ADHD, or anything else that may hinder your work habits or relationships with people, you CAN work at home if that is your dream. I'm proof of it. My biggest issue is that I'm still 'getting into the groove,' which takes time.

Also, if you think this gig is going to bring you instant glamour because you are a writer, think again. Yes, being a writer can be glamorous, in both fiction, and non-fiction. But it isn't going to happen overnight. Keep in mind that if you are successful at being a writer, it may actually lose you a few 'friends.' Seriously, some people cannot stand the idea of someone else being more successful and happy. It's vicious, but there is a good chance you will have to look at the face of someone you thought was a friend and see that they now despise you because they are jealous. It's even worse when it is family. Trust me, I know.

Don't let anything stand in the way of your dreams. Just be prepared for the responsibility and issues those dreams may bring with them. : )

Now, if you want to be a writer, there are a few things you need. You do have to have some skill at writing to be a writer. It is a very simple concept that many, many people seem to miss completely. Make sure you can write at least decent English before you attempt to break into the writing scene. If you can't, you are going to waste everyone's time.

That said, don't be worried that you can't write because you only got a C in English. If you can write legible sentences that people can follow, you have a shot at this. Also keep in mind that you will get better the more you write. Writing on a daily basis hones your skills, so each day you write, you become a more valuable asset! If you are having trouble finding writing work, just do a little writing each day to keep yourself sharp. A journal or blog may be all you need.

Above all, keep writing. Focus on your goals and dreams, and go for them. I did, and here I am, getting paid to stay home and write! I'm not making as much money as I would like, but that will come in time and with experience. I have a great friend in Australia who is mentoring me through the process, and she has been invaluable to me and my pursuit!

Writing is a great career. I just don't want to see people jump in, only to get burned because they didn't really know what they were jumping into. Leave me a post, and I'll be happy to answer any questions that I can.

I'll be back soon, and I'll think up some more pointers for all you potential writers out there! : D

–Lindsey Rainwater

No comments: