Wednesday, September 29, 2010

100 Day – My Assets

Sounds a little funny, doesn't it?

Anyway, day 9, and I'm supposed to think up 5 assets I have in my writing.

- One of the biggest ones I can think of is just the fact that I have written about so many different things, and I can use that knowledge to craft new content. For example, I was asked to write a bunch of articles on wedding dresses last year, and so I learned more about wedding dresses than I really cared to know. : ) Well, now I'm planning on writing some more articles on wedding dresses, and I can look back on the research I did last year for ideas.

- Another asset that might seem obscure is simply that all this writing has really educated me on what I REALLY want to do with my writing life. You can't know if you hate writing resumes until you've tried it. (I tried it. I hated it.)

- I've also learned a lot about dealing with customers. I've learned that generally they are more intimidated by me than I am by them. Because I can craft content of all kinds, apparently I rank with the demi-gods in their mind. (Angela made a comment about this seeming like witchcraft, and it made me laugh since I discovered this only recently.) The confidence that instilled leached into the rest of my life, and I'm better for it.

- Because of all the writing I've done and all I've learned, I know I'll never go hungry. I can't say I'm building much of a portfolio right now since most of my work has been ghostwriting, but I am familiar with enough kinds of writing that I know I'll always be able to find work.

- My writing takes up a lot of time, but it will give me the asset of more time soon. More time to write fiction. I'm not ready to change my 100 Day goal to incorporate my fiction, but in the last 9 days I've seen changes in how I perceive ALL my writing, including fiction. So I guess I'm talking about not only more time, but a new perspective on what I do and why I love doing it.

I may have totally missed the point of that exercise, but there's my talking-to-myself-for-the-benefit-of-others post for the day. ; )

No comments: